Export, research and miscellaneous permits

Export permits

Export permit applications are made under an Item 19 and are issued to legalise the possession of an unregistered product or unapproved active constituent for the purposes of export to other countries, or where Australia will be used as a distribution point for products or active constituents manufactured elsewhere in the world. Export permits are typically issued to manufacturers, registrants and distributors.

Export permits DO NOT allow supply for the purpose of use within Australia.

You can commence your application using the decision tree on our Online Services Portal. More information about timeframes and fees is available on our website.

Related import and export requirements

Export permits are not a certificate for export.? Many countries require a certificate for export when receiving chemical products as an assurance from the Australian Government that the exported chemical is suitable for supply and use.? A separate application form must be submitted with the export permit application form to obtain a certificate for export.

If importing an unregistered product or an unapproved active constituent, a separate consent to import is also required.

Consent to import

Research trials that require the import of an unregistered product or unapproved active constituent require a separate consent to import certificate.? Details of this certificate may be found on the?consent to import page.? A separate import application form must be submitted with the permit application to allow legal import of an unregistered product or unapproved active into Australia.

Where the product will be dealt with under an Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority (APVMA) permit, please submit an?application for consent to import.

Research permits

Applying to the APVMA for a research permit to conduct small-scale trials may not be required, provided that the research use complies with all of the conditions of the small-scale trial permit PER7250 (including the requirement that no produce resulting from the trial will be made available for human consumption). You can view permit PER7250 through the?Permits search?on our Online Services Portal.

Miscellaneous permits

Item 23 also includes application for a permit that would nullify offences under sections 74–79, 79A, 79B, 80, 81, 84, 85, 87, 87A, or 91 of the Agvet Code. These sections relate to the possession and supply of active constituents, chemical substances and chemical products, and offences relating to labels and claims.

The most common other (miscellaneous) permit applications under category 23 include:

  • supply of a particular batch or batches of a registered product where the batch does not comply with product specifications
  • overstickering of information on the approved label of a registered product.

Applications for other miscellaneous permits may be accompanied by a covering letter only; however, applicants should refer to the regulatory guidelines to determine what information the APVMA may require for evaluation.

To protect your privacy, please do not include contact information in your feedback. If you would like a response, please contact us.